[Tagging] Dangerous waterways tagging

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 23:17:50 UTC 2018

On 24 July 2018 at 18:49, Fran├žois Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> No because water always flows, look at the left picture on the danger sign.

 Sorry, couldn't see the water - just looked like a dry gully

It's just that sometimes, hydroelectric operator releases big amount of
> water wich completely and quickly flood the river bed.

We have similar situations near here, not so much for hydro plants, but
where roads will be cut if the upstream dam spillway is opened. One example
is:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-27.4429915,152.6679699,3a,75y,35.71h,84.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFjJWiXyzTOGjLkKotkCgkw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656,
which we only show as a bridge across the River
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-27.4427/152.6735

> flood_prone could be a solution, but it's currently intended for monsoon
> or snow melt moments, not for few hours or minutes of human controlled
> flooding.

That's certainly the way that the "varying water level" page is written,
but the flood_prone key https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:flood_prone
says " A way or an area that is prone to flooding". Yes, it goes on to also
say mostly after heavy rain, but I don't think it precludes any form of
flooding / inundation?

Do we have any way of tagging the rate at which the water level rises eg 1m
in 10 minutes? That may be another way of pointing out that this is a
dangerous area.

Graeme