[Tagging] Documentation issues of PT tagging schemes

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Wed Jul 25 04:58:05 UTC 2018

Hi,

> This would not be the bells and whistles method, but the bread and water
> method. The basics that would have the routing working and the map
> displaying things.

See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dbus_stop
and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dplatform

Both wiki pages are up to date and pretty prefect. "Up to date" means
that more than 90% of all public transport objects are mapped that way.

 From a semantic way, it would only be necessary to drop a few words for
- tram stops without a platform
- subway stations: if the underground structure is not known then you
should map at least "railway=station" + "name=<Name>" and all entrances
And a decent mapping scheme would be complete.

I have written routers for passengers, routers for the operators, a
route display tool
https://overpass-api.de/public_transport.html
and a JOSM plugin for editing public transport. Bottom line: Nobody,
really nobody needs relations of type stop_area, stop_area_group,
route_master, network, and stop_position information.

This is also the thing I do not like about the proposal: it is again
cluttered with also that complexity, mixing the important with the
unimportant and the commonplace with the obscure.

The upside is: public transport is in a much better state than all the
discussion contributions suggest. Public transport operators from five
continents are now voluntarily using OpenStreetMap data for a wide range
of purposes, because it is good enough to do so.

For discussing details I suggest the relevant mailing list
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-transit
It is purely about public transport and has some hundreds of
subscribers. On this mailing list "tagging" here, between golf courses
and detached houses relatively few people will find this discussion in
the long run.

Best regards,
Roland