[Tagging] Missing access value (access=license / authorization?)

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:53:31 UTC 2018


Le 27. 07. 18 à 02:45, Kevin Kenny a écrit :
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 26. 07. 18 à 19:39, Szem a écrit :
>> imho *=licence is included in the current meaning of *=customers
> 
> I understand that you are entirely convinced that your personal view
> is the only correct one.

it's certainly not the right way to start a discussion under the guise 
that someone who's not from your point of view is an egocentric idiot
who was waiting for your arrival to finally understand the world

what _I_ was saying is that despite your detailed explanations,
i still have not understood how the case you describe is different from 
access=customers. some paths in the park of a castle are limited to the 
customer of the castle, some sports facilities are limited to members
of the sports club. the fact of having to pay or not, is indicated
by the key fee=*
I didn't understand how getting a license in your example is different 
from getting a license from a sports club.

You can of course consider that all those who are not of your opinion 
not understood anything... or perhaps you ask if your opinion is not as 
perfect as you think it is.
You are of course free to use any tag, including access=permit and also 
free to create a wiki page to describe the use you make of it.
But if so many people have trouble understanding your need,
maybe you need is poorly explained or misclassified and
you can't expect to have much end use for this data.
But after all , it won't be the first time or the last time
that information in osm is unusable or 'll be used as an alias
of another well known/described value :-s

a good idea would be to explain with a (as easy as possible) example
why access=customers or private does not fit for your need.
If it was what you did in your previous email, sorry but I didn't 
understand it, because your examples are too general, without 
explanation about existing tag problems

> "The data model is fine. Fix your country!"

I never implied that.
but a good data model is the one that replicates why such case inquires 
such value..
if your case produce 4 different values depending of the mapper without 
rational argument to decide, then the description of your case does not 
correspond to what we hope from a good model.

perhaps it is necessary to improve the model to distinguish between
"the customer of an infrastructure has a right (possibly paying)
to use it one usecase by one" and "the customer of an infrastructure 
which has made the formalities to have a right for a certain period
of time aka a licence or an abonement or a membership"
But I'm not sure that this type of different has to be in the access 
key. maybe it's something for a subtag or in the fee tag.
a bit like we have parking with subscription or a mandatory member card 
vs a parking with a hourly fee open to everyone without any before-use 
administrative formality.
For "residential permit" parking, some use parking:condition
a not an access tag on the amenity=parking.

Hope this 'll help you.. in case you request an opignon and not
only a "I use it and don't care of your reply if you don't agree"


More information about the Tagging mailing list