[Tagging] landuse=clearing

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 10:37:13 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The problem with that of course, as Warin mentioned, is what would it
> hypothetically render as - grass / sand / rock / scrub etc etc?

If you simply define an area that is absent of woodland with no tags
defining what it is, then it renders as an absence of
woodland.  It is a hole in the woodland that renders the same as whatever
is outside the woodland, i.e., bare map.  It's
only if you add tags to the inner area that define it as
grass/sand/whatever that it renders as anything other than "bare
map."  Or if there's a larger area enclosing the wood (such as a nature
reserve) then the hole will (I haven't tested that,
so make it "should" rather than "will") still render the same as outside
the wood.

I've poked holes in a wood to handle clearings, and poked holes in woods
for ponds and quarries.  It all works fine.  If
you don't trust me then give it a quick try.  It's a matter of minutes to
add a relation to the wood, transfer the tags from
the wood to relation, then add one of the clearings to the relation and see
what happens.  If you hate the result then
it's only a few more minutes to manually revert.

It would be really nice if we had a sandbox, but we don't.  In this
particular case it's no big deal to give it a quick try.

--
Paul