[Tagging] British term for municipal greenery?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 10:48:14 UTC 2018

This issue has a long history... seems to me tagging awaits rendering, and
rendering awaits tagging. In such cases, you need a commitment from both
sides, with enough support to fuel trust. Then things can get rolling.

I am pretty sure about the tagging side - the problem is recognized, there
are ideas, and I think a solution can be found whether over left or over
right. I am not sure about the rendering side. There's no use in tagging a
lot then throw it at the renderers and hearing: nice try, can't be done,
or: fine, we'll see if someone picks it up next century. Ok, exaggerated,
but wouldn't it be better to engage earlier and get a commitment and lay
out a road map?

> sent from a phone
>
> On 5. Jun 2018, at 10:02, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> E.g. replace landuse=village_green with landuse=decorative (defaut
> rendering=greenish) then add landcover=scrub|trees|bushes|sand|gravel as
> needed.
>

> “decorative” is not a good name, if the intention is mapping only
> greenery. I would add a component or use a wording which makes it more
> specific, e.g. “greenery” or “verdure” or maybe “decorative_planting”?
>
> If this was intended for all kind of decorative installations, maybe
> landuse=street_decoration? Although I would see these generally as elements
> (e.g. amenity or man_made) within a landuse like “highway”.
>
> If rendering of these landcover values could be foreseen in the near
> future, retagging can be expected and a lot of fake orchards, mini-forests
> and fak village_greens would disappear from Nederland.
>

> If you want to see the landcover tag rendered, one of the most important
> things to do is use it wherever it can apply.
>

> cheers,
> Martin

Vr gr Peter Elderson