[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:55:33 UTC 2018

On 06/06/2018 14:15, Peter Elderson wrote:
> You have implemented rendering of landcover alongside landuse?
Yes

> Is it a major technical thing?
Depends on the renderer, but in my case no.

> It's not a question of replacing, I think, but rendering both?
Yes.

> Landcover would basically always be over another landuse.
Not really - you're reading more into the English terms "landuse" and
"landcover" than is justified by how they are used by mappers in OSM.

> At the moment, landuse-over-landuse is rendered according to some logic?
Yes, and it varies by the renderer.  OSM Carto (and styles derived from
it) have a series of rendering layers which determines what gets
displayed on top of what, and in addition the "roads" layer in OSM Carto
has a concept of "z_order" which determines what gets drawn on top of
what within a layer.

Probably the easiest way to see how this works is to set up a copy of a
renderer such as OSM Carto and experiment with how it works.

Best Regards,

Andy