[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Wed Jun 6 13:56:31 UTC 2018

> If I draw an area in iD and type “grass” in the search field I get a hit
> named “grass” with a generic green icon. Done (and I have added another
> landuse object).
>
> The tagging question is not only about documentation and rendering, but
> also for a very significant part about editor and app presets.

Exactly. There is a very sensible landcover proposal that, in
combination with a landuse=greenery (or a different suitable name for
municipal/community/decorative greenery), makes a lot of sense from a
semantic standpoint.

Only it won't gain traction because ID and JOSM don't provide presets,
which they won't do until more people use them, which won't happen until
openstreetmap-carto renders at least the generic landuse-tag and its
most-used landcovers (trees, grass, and shrubs).

(Manual) retagging of existing areas also won't happen, because they
would disappear from openstreetmap-carto, probably leading to reverts
and a lot of irritation.

So it's a classic catch-22.

I'm not all that familiar with OSM politics (and I use that term without
derision), but is there a way forward in such a situation?

I could imagine that a slimmed down proposal for a municipal greenery
landuse, in combination with the more common landcover tags already
proposed could be a good starting point, but without cooperation from
the openstreetmap-carto developers and willingness from the ID and JOSM
developers to incorporate new presets it probably won't progress beyond
a permanent 'proposed' status.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Hoek