[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag (was: Re: British term for municipal greenery?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:15:37 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 6. Jun 2018, at 14:37, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> your road different).  The wiki page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dgrass says "It is typical that landuse=grass is misused and should be changed to landcover=grass ".  I'd argue that that's wrong; it's the majority usage of a tag by thousands of people that determines what is "correct", not a wiki page edited by 1 or 2.

there is unanimous (?) consensus that landuse is about the usage of land (“For describing the primary use of areas of land.”)

how can “grass” fit into a system like this?

If I draw an area in iD and type “grass” in the search field I get a hit named “grass” with a generic green icon. Done (and I have added another landuse object).

The tagging question is not only about documentation and rendering, but also for a very significant part about editor and app presets.

Cheers,
Martin