[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Thu Jun 7 14:19:26 UTC 2018

I don’t think anyone has asked for the deprecation of landuse=forest, landuse=grass or natural=scrub or whatever.

Instead, to focus back down to the original issue, what is asked for is proper support for landcover in the default map style (in addition to whatever is already in there) equivalent to what the grandfathered existing tags have, to give people at least a real option to use semantically more appropriate tags.

The current situation forces mappers to keep using semantically incorrect tags. And even worse, these tags then directly conflict with the actual landuse tag they would want to use.

There are many places where I would have wanted to tag landuse=highway and landcover=grass (road verge, part of the official right of way, covered in grass), but if I want it to show up on the map, I’m currently forced to tag it landuse=grass.