[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 09:41:29 UTC 2018

On 08/06/18 19:03, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 6. Jun 2018 16:34 by osm at imagico.de <mailto:osm at imagico.de>:
>
>     The problem here is that it is not just one or two, there is a
>     significant group of people, at least a dozen overall i suppose,
>     who on
>     the wiki consider it their mission to educate mappers on correct
>     use of
>     tags (based on certain ideas regarding key semantics or data model
>     ideas in general) rather than documenting their actual use. The
>     uselessness of many tag pages on the wiki -
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dgrass and
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dtrees are good
>     examples here - is largely due to that. They are filled with talking
>     points from the fight for 'correct' key semantics that leave the
>     mapper
>     looking for substantial information on tag use with nothing but
>     confusion.
>

> I made some edits intended to fix this issue:
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Alanduse%3Dgrass&type=revision&diff=1615924&oldid=1589206
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Landuse&type=revision&diff=1615922&oldid=1601313
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Alanduse&type=revision&diff=1615920&oldid=1557401
>

> In general, on spotting the problem on wiki the best way to deal with
> it is to edit it
>
> (it generally takes less time than complaining).

And results in edit wars.
I have amended your edit on landuse... and in landcover
I do not like the change the meaning of land use as defined on its wiki
page. So I have tried to moderate that.

I hope I have been even handed .. but I have my bias too!!!

Would someone like to read them and see what you think? Preferable
someone with less passion than I (and possibly some others).