[Tagging] Lifeguards

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 23:37:39 UTC 2018

On 8 June 2018 at 21:01, <osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au> wrote:

> I agree that the 5 different values shown on the wiki describe distinctly
> different things and should all be retained.

Thanks, everyone, that's fine - keep it as 5 separate definitions, but, I
would think, all rendered the same ie  life ring?

For my own benefit though - lifeguard=place https://wiki.
openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aemergency%3Dlifeguard_place. Do those poor
sod's take their chairs down the beach & sit, extremely uncomfortably,
behind a woefully inadequate windbreak :-) *in the same spot* every day?

Our lifeguards do sit in their 4wd cars on the beach every day, but they
can position themselves anywhere over a several 00 m stretch, depending on
beach & surf conditions, & where the safest swimming spot is that day, so
they couldn't be mapped as a lifeguard=place.

> "should be rendered" -> do you mean on the default OpenStreetMap style?
> Did you want to open a ticket on the stylesheet issue tracker
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/
> issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+lifeguard

I thought that that was what I was doing, but obviously not? To (mis-)
quote Oddball "I don't know how it works, I just use it"! :-)

Thanks

Graeme