[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Telecom local netwoks

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Jun 10 01:54:04 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 5:57 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Francois
>
> I'm a little bit confused over some of your definitions?
>
> You say man_made=telephone_exchange is to be replaced with
> telecom=central_office, but then also say that a telecom=central_office "is
> a small dedicated technical building hosting a main distribution frame to
> connect subscribers to a telephone exchange"?
>
> From my days in telco, a central office could house a MDF, a switch,
digital carriers, broadband equipment, etc. I believe "telephone exchange"
is another word for switching equipment.

Digital equipment has changed typical central offices. MDF is likely still
there but often digital carriers serve small neighborhood areas. When I
left telco, digital signals were being processed by digital switches, with
no need for an MDF. A typical central office has uses other than for
switching equipment. It may act as a distribution point to other central
offices, provide dedicated local loops for special services, like alarms.

Of course, much of this is going away. Cell and voice over ip (VOIP) has
made much of this obsolete.

Clifford
--
@osm_seattle