[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 09:48:02 UTC 2018

On 12/06/18 19:37, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:41 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     > On 9. Jun 2018, at 15:53, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:pla16021 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Landuse=forest could mean a group of trees which are not
>     > consistently used by a single organization for anything (and
>     often called "Xyz Forest"
>

>     interesting, can you give a real world example where a group of
>     trees has actually the name “... forest”? I always thought a
>     forest would require more trees.
>
> Either one of us is completely misunderstanding what the other wrote
> or you're quibbling about the size of a group.
>
> Sherwood Forest is 450 acres of trees.  It is a nature reserve and so
> it is not used for forestry (aka logging). There may
> be occasional felling of diseased trees but it is not systematically
> logged on a wide scale.
>
> This is why landuse=forest is problematical.  Sherwood Forest is not
> land used for forestry, but it is called Sherwood
> Forest so landuse=forest may seem like the correct tag to use (because
> it says "forest").
>
> That's why abandoning landuse=forest in favour of landcover=trees or
> landuse=forestry (as appropriate) is a good
> idea.  I'll also add that I don't think landcover=trees should be used
> in combination with landuse=forestry because what
> is currently on land used for forestry may not be trees but saplings
> or stumps.

I am coming around to this way of tagging.
Been looking at places tagged landuse=forest around me...
Some are forestry (yea!)
Some are parks ..
Some are nature reserves... (some of these are errors due to LPI map
colours ... very similar from forestry to reserve. And yes, LPI is
legally allowed in OSM)
Some are no more trees ... history .. though I have found one that is
forestry .. just with the trees harvested and gone, they'll be back.