[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Lounges

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:51:21 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Anton Klim <tohaklim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hence why I set out with just amenity=lounge, not realising how many
> conflicting meanings people assign to the word, which is why it probably
> won't work.

I know you have already said you think a waiting room is different from
your proposal for a lounge and you're not
interested (at the moment) in tagging for waiting rooms.  However, I can
foresee that unless there is
amenity=waiting_room (or whatever we settle upon) then people WILL abuse
amenity=lounge (or whatever we
settle upon) for waiting rooms.  Most of them won't deliberately intend to
abuse the tag, they'll just be
going for the closest fit to what they're trying to map.  They probably
won't look at the wiki page telling them
it's not for that purpose, it will be what the editor pops up in response
to what they're asking for.

A good rule of thumb: if the mailing list has as many conflicting
interpretations/opinions over a tag as this one
has, it's likely to end up being used incorrectly in practise.  And then, a
few years down the line, we'll be looking
for tagging to replace it.

--
Paul