[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 09:35:49 UTC 2018

Take a look at e.g.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/913806#map=17/51.12071/4.09282&layers=N
You will see plenty of houses surrounded by landuse=forest. This is
because there are plenty of trees in the gardens near the house
(probably the area was a forest before).
The current mapping is not correct. There are gardens, driveways,
grassfields near the houses. However there are still patches with
trees left.

My idea was to map the whole area as landuse=residential and the areas
covered with trees as landcover=trees.
But some people here say that you should map those trees with
landuse=forest. So should those lu=forest overlap the lu=residential ?

Similar problems exists where there is e.g. a meadow with several
trees on it (too many trees to map individually), but still the
purpose is meadow (e.g. because there are horses).
Do you draw a meadow and on top of it a lu=forest ?

As for the named area, I understand your reply as : you have a
separate object (perhaps the outer ring of the mult-polygon) with the
name tag (so any area excluded by the inner rings are still within
that named area). Any other tags you place on that outer ring
(place=locality perhaps ?)

m.