[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Jun 13 10:16:40 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 13 June 2018, Marc Gemis wrote:
> > And landuse=forest is used for landcover, not landuse, so such
> > mapping is correct.
>
> As I see it, it evolved from mapping areas where wood is used for
> timber into a landcover tag. The first person that used it for
> landcover purpose have mapped for the renderer imho. Others followed
> and now people state it is a landcover tag.

Not really following the overall discussion here any more but trying to
scuttle the attempt at rewriting history:

The early use of landuse=forest/natural=wood was more or less like
Approach 3 on

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Forest

See:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landuse%3Dforest&oldid=200189