[Tagging] emergency=lifeguard

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Mon Jun 18 11:38:03 UTC 2018

From: Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 18 June 2018 21:17
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] emergency=lifeguard

Do we have any tagging scheme for “an area in which it is likely for a lifeguard to be”? I’m not sure if simply tagging an area with emergency=lifeguard lifeguard=place is appropriate for that.

 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:supervised> supervised=* to indicate if the beach has a lifeguard (yes, no, interval - in the format of  <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours> opening_hours=*) https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dbeach

Well, take as an example this beach: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/17960956

I don’t think a blanket supervised=yes or lifeguard=yes is appropriate for that.

But there are multiple areas, each maybe a few 100m, somewhere in which a lifeguard is going to put down their flags, beach chair, umbralla, whatever regularly.

So the question becomes, what’s the appropriate tagging scheme for these areas?