[Tagging] emergency=lifeguard

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:08:44 UTC 2018

On 18 June 2018 at 21:28, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Do we have any tagging scheme for “an area in which it is likely for a
>>> lifeguard to be”? I’m not sure if simply tagging an area with
>>> emergency=lifeguard lifeguard=place is appropriate for that.
>>>

>> supervised <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:supervised>=* to
>> indicate if the beach has a lifeguard (yes, no, interval - in the format
>> of opening_hours <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours>
>> =*) https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dbeach
>>

> there are different kind of "supervision" on beaches possible: supervision
> that the equipment at the beach is fine (including for example chairs,
> umbrellas, sport pitches), or lifeguards who do not control the beach but
> the water in front of the beach, and do only check for people endangered by
> the water, not for things that might be damaged. The supervision tag
> definition is not clear on this (or if you read it literally, is not
> applying unambiguously well to lifeguards).

Agreed but the wiki for beach says when applied to beaches it specifically
means supervised by a lifeguard, when applied to other features yes it's
unrelated to lifeguards. This is how I've been using the tag, I think
that's okay as the default. It is common for beaches to have supervision
that's not a lifeguard? I'm all ears for a proposal for finer grain
tagging, but until them I'd encourage people to keep mapping per the wiki
using supervised on beaches with lifeguards.

On 18 June 2018 at 21:38, <osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au> wrote:

> Well, take as an example this beach: https://www.openstreetmap.org/
> way/17960956
>

> I don’t think a blanket supervised=yes or lifeguard=yes is appropriate for
> that.
>

> But there are multiple areas, each maybe a few 100m, somewhere in which a
> lifeguard is going to put down their flags, beach chair, umbralla, whatever
> regularly.
>

> So the question becomes, what’s the appropriate tagging scheme for these
> areas?

I'd suggest that if there are sections permanently patrolled, to break it
up and use a multipolygon relation on the whole beach and tag each
patrolled section as supervised. Just like how a single road is split up to
tag different maxspeed, surface, lanes etc.