[Tagging] Street exits

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:18:37 UTC 2018

Typical dutch pedestrian crossing is the zebra crossing, it has legal
status.
The only other areas where pedestrians go first is on a living_street (with
the official sign), and on the sidewalk and pedestrian areas.

The idea here is not that the pedestrians are crosssing the road, but
traffic are crossing a continuous sidewalk (just like a dirveway exit)
hence pedestrians go first.

Often there also is a continuous cycleway to cross.

The street exit may or may not have a bump, table, lining, lining bricks.
There is no absolute requirement, except that it is recognizable
exit-style. In practice, it is the continuous pedestrian pavement and
lowered kerb which determine the exit_style. There should be no traffic
signs nor shark teeth; precedence is implied.

The consequence is that all traffic including pedestrians have precedence
over all traffic coming from the street exit (or entering it). This
includes traffic turning left or right into the exit, which would have to
yield anyway, but also traffic coming from across the road if there is a
regular street opposite the exit. Does that happen? Yes, it does. I just
crossed one on my bicycle.

Officially, there is no special speed limit on the street exit. There is a
rule: it counts as a special manoeuvre, which means: whatever happens, it's
your fault!

Nice to hear that Germany has them as well. We're not alone!