[Tagging] iD presets

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Jun 20 09:41:41 UTC 2018

Just a couple of comments:

- both the JOSM and Vespucci default presets are in general under a lot
less pressure and in the end less scrutiny than iDs because they are end
user replaceable and extendable. Naturally the choices made by the devs
still affect tagging, including, oops, errors.

- I suggested a common system for preset storage and generation for GSOC
two years back there wasn't very much uptake of the idea, and at least
one rather hostile reaction. At that time it seemed reasonably viable,
I'm not so sure now, given the way iD presets have evolved.

- I'm going to do a talk on Presets at SOTM this year (not focused that
much on the topic at hand, but will surely touch on all of the above)

Simon