[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Wed Jun 20 16:28:22 UTC 2018

>From my reading of the wiki (I wasn’t involved when PTv2 was designed), the situation as envisioned in PTv2 would be that you have only one node, way, or area with public_transport=platform. So the existing highway=bus_stop and highway=platform (in cases where both are present) are merged into a single public_transport=platform (on the way or area that currently is the highway=platform, and the highway=bus_stop goes away completely).

But this requires proper rendering support. That is, the way or area should be rendered like highway=platform was, AND it should render an icon in the middle of the way like highway=bus_stop did. Because public_transport=platform replaces both of these.

Trying to see and implement public_transport=platform only as a 1:1 replacement for existing highway=platform and/or railway=platform is going to make the situation worse, not better.