[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Fri Jun 22 15:11:11 UTC 2018

Most folks do use presets, especially those marking bus stops in the wild,
which is the vast majority of the cases that matter in this discussion.

Only recently (March 2018) did iD begin including PTv2 tags in its presets.
Before then, it only offered PTv1, that is, highway=bus_stop. So of course
"actual tagging" reflects this. It also created the mess with a "bus stop"
including the direction-depended platforms and the (often approximate) stop
positions. All of which PTv2 addresses.

There have been two big problems with progressing on PTv2, as I see it:

1) There was no preset in iD for it. Jo (Polyglot) has previously remarked
on his years of effort in this area. I am glad it finally happened.

2) There is no support (still) in osm-carto for it.

These are the two fundamental steps that need to occur for a tag revision
to succeed. Until they are in place, the old tag will continue to be
preferred in "actual tagging."

I have seen an uptick in PTv2 tagging in the wild for bus stops since the
iD change took place. (The iD preset is rendered in osm-carto because the
preset includes BOTH the PTv1 and PTv2 tags.)

It took seven years for iD to incorporate PTv2 as a preset. Hopefully it
will take less time for osm-carto to render it.

You say PTv1 is simpler. It's only simpler in that it involves one tag
rather than two. To me, if I were not using presets, it would be more
complicated to remember:
highway=bus_stop (for bus stops)
railway=platform (for railway, tram and subway platforms)
aeroway=gate (at airports)

rather than
public_transport=platform + bus=yes   for buses
public_transport=platform + train=yes   for trains
public_transport=platform + subway=yes   for subways (US English)
public_transport=platform + tram=yes   for trams

... and of course, it's not possible to map a platform in PTv1 that serves
both trams and trains, while in PTv2 you have
public_transport=platform + tram=yes + train=yes

To me, that's simpler.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com