[Tagging] public transport through service

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Fri Jun 22 16:03:27 UTC 2018

My assumption has always been that this is what roundtrip=yes is supposed to mean

> 2. A route where the vehicle always enter another specific route
> unless the vehicle is taken out of service, and the passenger can
> stay aboard.
>
> Example (the vehicle on one of the following routes will enter the
> other reaching the end where the passenger can stay on board):
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5955257
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5955258

I don't think there is anything currently defined for mapping that.

I would guess one possibility to map this would be to add a member of role "vehicle_continues_on" after the last stop/platform member, referencing the next route relation. This might also model your case 1 as you could add the relation to itself (I think, not sure if that's valid.)

> 3. A service where the vehicle runs a part of the route, and enters
> another
> mid-route:
>
> Example: A particular departure on route 751 below will enter route
> 507 upon reaching Choy Yee Bridge in order to cope with passenger
> demand at that particular time, the ref shown will be changed at
> that en-route stop:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2926506 (751)
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6481316 (507)

This sounds like they are route variations.

That is:

Create a copy of 2926506 that ends where the ref changes.
Create a copy of 6481316 that starts where the ref changes.
(Make sure both copies are part of the appropriate route master.)
Then follow suggestion for case 2 to link these two together.

> 4. A service, due to operational reasons, changes the ref in
> particular fixed points along the route (e.g. when crossing system
> boundary), but marketed as one route on promotional materials (e.g.
> the train from Foshan to Kowloon, which operates as Z806 between
> Foshan and Guangzhou and Z803 from Guangzhou to Kowloon, but it is
> a single trip with absolutely no alighting allowed at
> Guangzhou)

If there was an actual stop at Guangzhou, this could again be modelled using the approach for case 2. But if the changeover point is not actually a stop, things get difficult.

Are there stops between Foshan and Guangzhou? And between Guangzhou and Kowloon?

The best you can probably do is just specify both refs:

ref=Z806;Z803

Though I'm not too happy with that.

Cheers,
Thorsten