[Tagging] public transport through service

Michael Tsang miklcct at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:35:33 UTC 2018

I have raised this topic two years ago but it seems that there is no community
consensus here. My problem is "How should we tag a public transport through
service route?"

In my city there are the following cases:

1. A simple circular route where a passenger can normally stay on board
through the end / start point unless the vehicle is taken out of service.

Example:

2. A route where the vehicle always enter another specific route unless the
vehicle is taken out of service, and the passenger can stay aboard.

Example (the vehicle on one of the following routes will enter the other
reaching the end where the passenger can stay on board):

3. A service where the vehicle runs a part of the route, and enters another
mid-route:

Example: A particular departure on route 751 below will enter route 507 upon
reaching Choy Yee Bridge in order to cope with passenger demand at that
particular time, the ref shown will be changed at that en-route stop:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2926506 (751)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6481316 (507)

4. A service, due to operational reasons, changes the ref in particular fixed
points along the route (e.g. when crossing system boundary), but marketed as
one route on promotional materials (e.g. the train from Foshan to Kowloon,
which operates as Z806 between Foshan and Guangzhou and Z803 from Guangzhou to
Kowloon, but it is a single trip with absolutely no alighting allowed at
Guangzhou)

Are there any existing practices to deal with these kinds of routes?

Michael
--
Sent from KMail