[Tagging] iD presets

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Fri Jun 22 22:27:32 UTC 2018

On Friday 22 June 2018, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> [...]
>
> TL;DR: When I speak of being advised chiefly by data consumers,
> I don't mean conforming strictly to the limitations of existing
> programs ("tagging for the renderer" in the broad sense), but
> rather being informed by the principles:
> (a) it's impossible to treat two objects differently if they
> are tagged alike, so a tag MUST not have two meanings -
> at least if other tags don't render it unambiguous in context.
> (b) it's unwise to proliferate tagging styles, since a data
> consumer must be prepared to analyze every style that
> it's likely to encounter. For this reason, it's wise to discuss
> and agree on how objects of common types are to be
> tagged - and people who consume the data can offer
> invaluable advice on how to tag.

I am not sure why you think these are principles that are in the
interest of data users but not in the interest of mappers?

As i said i think mostly the interests of both go hand in hand but where
they don't the interests of mappers should have priority.

It is possible that your misconception is that you think mappers always
make decisions in their interest or in the interest of someone else.
That is not necessarily the case.  Bad choices in tagging are often
simply the result of a lack of ability to make a better choice.  Which
is why educating mappers to enable them to make good, self determined
choices in their own interest is very important.

> Every mapper is, or depends on, a data consumer.
> Why enter data you don't plan to use?

Mappers' motives are diverse but very common reasons are:

* to document your environment
* to communicate with others
* to have an incentive for outdoor activity

All of these do not depend on a data consumer (other than your fellow
mappers in case of the second point).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/