[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 08:25:41 UTC 2018

I think a bus stop node on the bus route is exactly what is needed to route
people from anywhere to anywhere. You connect the pedestrian route to the
bus route at that point. It does not really matter if the route includes a
platform way, or a platform node, as long as it's part of the pedestrian
route from the stop to any other routable way.

That's what I think.

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 at 19:36, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Have been following this whole conversation with interest (&, I must
> admit, some confusion!).
>
> Not wanting to be at all awkward :-), but if
>
> The stop_position is the spot where the vehicle stops, it is not strictly
>> needed for routing (of pedestrians) but the bus needs to know where to stop
>> (doesn't typically need OSM navigation to drive his bus though).
>>

> then why are we all worrying so much about stop positions? The driver
> knows he has to stop at this location, & (I'm pretty certain! :-)) he's not
> staring at his phone / GPS to see if OSM says he at's exactly the right
> spot on the ground to stop the bus!
>
> Or are we making provision for fully autonomous driverless buses, relying
> on OSM for guidance to find their correct stops? :-)

Vr gr Peter Elderson