[Tagging] tower:type=suspension

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Sat Jun 23 13:44:58 UTC 2018

Not in any way involved with power mapping, but I don’t think tower:type should have necessarily any implications about what it is that’s being transmitted over the suspended cables.

In the specific case of power=tower, while I guess tower:type=suspension might be considered the “default” value, the default, still needs to be a “defined” value. Tagging of tower:type=suspension can then be a way to indicate that someone actually looked at it and made a determination in regards to what type of tower it is, while the absence of the tag means that while it probably is a suspension tower, no body has looked close enough to make sure yet.

As for the wiki page, it should probably show the same information that https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tower:type shows for tower:type=suspension, that is:

“A tower which supports the conductors vertically using suspension insulators. This is the default type and need not be tagged. However it may be useful to tag a suspension tower if it is used as an angle tower (an anchor tower would normally be expected here)”.