[Tagging] drop covered=booth?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 23:16:17 UTC 2018

On 24/06/18 08:55, Bryan Housel wrote:

>> On Jun 23, 2018, at 6:00 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We’re not adding `booth=yes` to all phones.  Just the ones that
>>> - don’t already have a `booth=*` tag and
>> That is not right. If they don't have a booth=* tag then don't think that these all have a booth.
>> So I would not add a tag here that maybe wrong.
>>
>>> - do have a `covered=booth` tag
>> This is correct .. they have a booth so adding booth=yes is correct.
>
> It sounds like you are very confused.

Yes..

> I’ll try again.
>
> The only features I’m modifying have the tags `amenity=telephone` and `covered=booth`.
> I will change `covered=booth` to `covered=yes`
> I will add a tag `booth=yes` but only if there is not already an existing `booth*` tag.

Good for the booth=yes.

> The reason I’m doing this is so that we can offer users a `covered` checkbox for the telephone preset in iD.
> This checkbox really wants to assign values like `yes` and `no` -- not `booth`.
> Make sense?

Sense .. yes of a sort.

But the offering of a covered check box is not a good idea.
It is not the same as a 'booth'. A booth will usually have 3 sides as well as a top - this aides hearing and speech to the telephone.
Sometimes the sides are not very large and you have to lean in .. but they help a lot in noisy circumstances.

A 'covering' may just be a shop awing - separate from the phone but still a covering. Or the phone could be under a stairway or bridge, all coverings but not a booth.

Words are important particularly when used singularly and also with people who are not that familiar with the language.

Take care.