[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - leisure=racetrack

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 18:32:50 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 7:16 PM, Lorenzo Mastrogiacomi <lomastrolo at gmail.com
> wrote:

> The main reason because I excluded non-motorised sports is because many of
> them seem to have an already established way of mapping.
> All this pages mention sports_centre and stadium as physical tag
> combination for related facilities:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Ddog_racing
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dhorse_racing
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sport%3Dequestrian
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dbobsleigh
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dcycling
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dbmx

I've looked at those and most of them seem, to me, documenting what people
have used because they couldn't
find anything better.  I think leisure_centre is a bad fit, because I'd see
a leisure centre as somewhere you go to
do something rather than to watch something.  Yes, it's borderline because
some leisure centres incorporate
spectator facilities, but when I think of a dog track "leisure centre"
doesn't come to mind.

> As for the term "racetrack", I agree it's ambiguous and I accept
> suggestions. Maybe a more descriptive tag is needed (motor_something).

It's not so much the ambiguity, but why should motor racing have first
claim on it?  What it boils down to is do we
clarify by leisure=motor_race_track, leisure=dog_race_track, etc., or have
leisure=racetrack+racetrack=dog?  Each
method has its proponents.

About motor racing specialities, I think it's argument for the sport=* tag
> or another subtag someone may want to propose. This is not covered by the
> proposal.

Is it a sport?  I'd say it's a spectator sport.  There's a difference.  A
sport is something I can take part in, a spectator sport
is something I go to watch.  Actually, I do neither, and would rather spend
my time watching slow-motion replays of
paint drying, but that's beside the point.

--
Paul