[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - leisure=racetrack

Lorenzo Mastrogiacomi lomastrolo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 21:07:04 UTC 2018

Il giorno dom, 24/06/2018 alle 19.32 +0100, Paul Allen ha scritto:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 7:16 PM, Lorenzo Mastrogiacomi <lomastrolo at gm
> ail.com> wrote:
> > The main reason because I excluded non-motorised sports is because
> > many of them seem to have an already established way of mapping.
> > All this pages mention sports_centre and stadium as physical tag
> > combination for related facilities:
> >
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Ddog_racing
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dhorse_racing
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sport%3Dequestrian
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dbobsleigh
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dcycling
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asport%3Dbmx
>
> I've looked at those and most of them seem, to me, documenting what
> people have used because they couldn't
> find anything better.  I think leisure_centre is a bad fit, because
> I'd see a leisure centre as somewhere you go to
> do something rather than to watch something.  Yes, it's borderline
> because some leisure centres incorporate
> spectator facilities, but when I think of a dog track "leisure
> centre" doesn't come to mind.

But also the most common motor racing facilities, for motocross,
karting, usually don't have stands and other things for spectators.
These are places where normal people go and practice the sport.

> > About motor racing specialities, I think it's argument for the
> > sport=* tag or another subtag someone may want to propose. This is
> > not covered by the proposal.
>
> Is it a sport?  I'd say it's a spectator sport.  There's a
> difference.  A sport is something I can take part in, a spectator
> sport
> is something I go to watch.  Actually, I do neither, and would rather
> spend my time watching slow-motion replays of
> paint drying, but that's beside the point.

Who cares if it's a real sport is not  :) . When I use the word "sport"
I mean what we tag as sport=*
To be clear, I'm not particulary interested in motor sports, expecially
those that attract many people. I'm here to propose a tag which I think
is needed.

Lorenzo