[Tagging] shop=discount

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Jun 25 19:01:00 UTC 2018

On 6/24/2018 2:08 PM, Selfish Seahorse wrote:
> Hi
>
> No, a discount shop isn't the same as a a variety shop. To cite Wikipedia [^1]:
>
>> A discount store or discount shop is a retail shop which sells products at prices that are lower than the typical market price.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Discount stores/shops are not variety stores, which sell goods at a single price-point or multiples thereof (£1, $2, etc.). Discount stores differ from variety stores in that they sell many name-brand products, and because of the wide price range of the items offered.
> [^1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discount_store
>
> Regards
> Markus

The idea that a "variety store" must sell at a single price point is
oddly strict. In the USA we have many so-called "dollar stores" whose
prices are not constrained in that way -- they're just typically lower
that standard retail stores. Maybe 20 years ago they more-or-less stuck
to dollar prices. Those days are long over, but they're still operated
in the same spirit. (And even named that way -- Dollar Tree, Dollar
General, Ninety-nine Cent Store -- but many items are priced in the
$5-$10 range.)

Wikipedia even contradicts itself here -- the "discount store" article
claims that a "variety store" only sells at a single price point, while
the photo on the "variety store" page shows a so-called one-euro shop in
Amsterdam pricing goods at 0.99€, 1.49€, 3.49€, etc.

Is there something other than the increasingly bygone single-price
gimmick that we can use to discern between them? If not, I'd assert that
"discount store" and "variety store" are synonyms. ("Wide range" and
"many name-brand products" are pretty subjective.)

jmb