[Tagging] shop=discount

Selfish Seahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 09:24:16 UTC 2018

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 at 11:01, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for writing again, but I believe this discussion shows that the term shop=discount is not self-explaining at all. It evokes different thoughts in different people / national contexts. In Germany, the term "discounter" is clearly defined, but it doesn't seem this is a statement that can be shared globally. As it isn't much used either, we should probably discourage the use all together.
>
> I have put a list of common names on these objects in the wiki, as it will help people familiar with the brands to understand what kind of shop was tagged:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Ddiscount
> most used values are Poundland and Poundworld.

Concluding from their names and websites, Poundland and Poundworld are
variety stores, not discount stores. This list seem to confirm your
observation that shop=discount may not be self-explanatory globally.

Any objections if I retag Poundland and Poundworld stores as shop=variety_store?