[Tagging] tagging bicycle charging stations

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 14:28:40 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> I encountered public charging station for electric bicycles.
>
> How this should be tagged?
>
> Currently https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%
> 3Dcharging_station
> recommends
>
> amenity=charging_station
> bicycle=yes
> scooter=no
> car=no
> truck=no
>
> what sounds like a horrible idea,

I agree.  But not for your reasons.  Should be charging:bicycle=yes,
charging:car=no,
etc.

> I propose to use amenity=bicycle_changing_station
> (like there is amenity=bicycle_parking and amenity=parking).

And then you encounter a charging station which accommodates both cars and
bicycles.  Which isn't a problem with the existing scheme:
amenity=charging_station +
car=yes + bicycle=yes.  Which isn't a problemwith a more modern version of
the existing scheme:
amenity=charging_station + charging:bicycle=yes + charging:car=yes.  Which
is
a BIG problem with your idea.  Because then you have to use
amenity=bicycle_charging_station;car_charging_station and which one gets
rendered (if any)
is up to the carto.

--
Paul