[Tagging] shop=shoe_repair

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed Jun 27 15:59:20 UTC 2018

> it depends how we see the "craft" tag. I would see it for professions
> that require some specific knowledge and "craft"/skills, not anybody
> doing any work would qualify for it. E.g. seasonal workers in the
> harvest or warehouseman or shoe polisher or key cutter wouldn't be
> crafts according to that definition, although they will usually be
> hard working.
>
> As of now, there are 0 occurences of craft=master_locksmith in the db.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

I was pleasantly surprised to come across craft=key_cutter in the wiki,
as it seems to bridge the gap between the shoe-repair key machine
operator, who can copy a small selection of the most common keys, and a
real locksmith shop, which sells and services many types of locks and
safes and offers high-security key copying, lock repinning,
installation, also often these days alarms and security systems.

Copying keys isn't a storied craft like, say brewing or blacksmithing...
but it does require some skill. And something is, literally, being
crafted. That it can happily coexist with shop=* is a serendipitous
bonus of using the craft tag.

Btw, lately I'm starting to see self-service automatic key-copying
vending machines in some shops. Do I dare call these robotic kiosks
craftsmen? Maybe vending=key_cutter?

See https://www.key.me/kiosks

jmb