[Tagging] tagging bicycle charging stations

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 03:40:01 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-27 16:28, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Mateusz Konieczny
> <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> wrote:
>
>     I encountered public charging station for electric bicycles.
>
>     How this should be tagged?
>
>     Currently
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station>
>     recommends
>
>     amenity=charging_station
>     bicycle=yes
>     scooter=no
>     car=no
>     truck=no
>
>     what sounds like a horrible idea,
>

> I agree.  But not for your reasons.  Should be charging:bicycle=yes,
> charging:car=no,
> etc.
>
>     I propose to use amenity=bicycle_changing_station
>     (like there is amenity=bicycle_parking and amenity=parking).
>

> And then you encounter a charging station which accommodates both cars and
> bicycles.  Which isn't a problem with the existing scheme:
> amenity=charging_station +
> car=yes + bicycle=yes.  Which isn't a problemwith a more modern
> version of the existing scheme:
> amenity=charging_station + charging:bicycle=yes + charging:car=yes.
> Which is
> a BIG problem with your idea.  Because then you have to use
> amenity=bicycle_charging_station;car_charging_station and which one
> gets rendered (if any)
> is up to the carto.
I remember having been told off by someone who doesn't like namespaces:
"we are not doing like that" ;-)

But you are, like me, perfectly right using it because we could have
charging:bicycle:amperage=* different from charging:car:amperage=*

I had written a general such namespace specification with very strict logic.
But I will never publish it because of comments like above.
People don't agree on the order of the terms in the first place.

All the best,

André.