[Tagging] Canoe route

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:07:19 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There is a portion of it here (https://www.openstreetmap.
> org/#map=14/60.7101/-150.6839) where one can see the footway

portions, the portages, but the untagged ways crossing the lakes are
> invisible. The ways are included in my route relation

but I'm at a loss as to how to tag them so they exist as a part of the
> route.

They are part of the route.  Use the "query features" tool (the question
mark that's bottom of the buttons at the right of
the window) and click on one of the portages.  A pane pops up at the left
of the window.  At the top it mentions
"Footpath Swan Lake Canoe Trail" and if you hover over that the footpath
shows brown.  Below that is
Relation #356086 and if you hover over that you see the whole route,
footpaths and lakes.  That's clickable, which will
then display the whole relation (which appeas to be missing a segment
through a lake in the south-east).

> I know I'm raising the specter of tagging for the renderer but if the
> water portions of this route aren't visible or findable, how

would a routing engine or a GPS make use of them? How should I tag those
> ways that cross the lakes?

The routeing engine would go by the relation.  Probably.  How they work is
a deep mystery understood only by the
priesthood.

As to them being invisible, I'm not sure what you could or should use to
achieve this.  Perhaps what you have, an untagged
way, is sufficient but OSM carto chooses to render it in blue, so it's
invisible.  However, it would appear from
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:route that route=* is applicable.
It says it can be used for ships on open water
and gives route=ferry as an example.  Taginfo says route=canoe has been
used 328 times, 277 of those on ways and
51 on relations, so you could give it a try.

--
Paul