[Tagging] Canoe route

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 22:36:10 UTC 2018

On 30 June 2018 at 02:37, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tagged the route as a relation a long time ago (route=canoe) but was
> updating some areas lately and came across those untagged ways again and
> their invisibility began nagging at me. While I don't expect anybody to
> actually use a routing service to put together a wilderness trip at their
> desk, I want my work to be helpful for canoeists when following "the trail"
> as it weaves through myriad lakes, around islands, from put-in to take-out,
> for each leg of the route. If OSM-based maps don't show the lake crossings,
> how will users follow the parts of the route with the untagged ways? I'm
> unsure if such a route will be followable.

Dave, I know basically nothing about canoeing so please excuse a probably
dumb question!

When people are following the trail & arrive at a lake, would everybody use
the same route across the lake, or would you go straight across, while I
follow right round the shoreline?

Assuming different people use different routes, would this effect any
possible routing?