[Tagging] Canoe route

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Jun 30 22:29:21 UTC 2018

I'd like to suggest not creating a very specific tag like route=canoe,
instead use something more general that would apply to more water crafts
like kayaks, small boats, canoes, and rafts. route=marine_trail would be
more fitting. Related tag could include motorized=(yes/no).

Kayaking around my area is bigger than canoes with a number of trails in
the area.

Best,
Clifford

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 2:40 PM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Yves <yvecai at mailbox.org> wrote:
>

>> There is a way to avoid tagging the way with the route tag:
>>
>> whitewater:section_grade=0
>>
>> See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Whitewater_sports#Grades
>>
>> I consent your canoe practice on a lake is perhaps far from 'whitewater'
>> practice, but grade 0 describes a lake perfectly. And if the route follows
>> a river with grade 1, then map it as such.
>>

> Unless I misunderstand the wiki page, whitewater:section_grade is only
> documented as applying to waterway=river.
> There is nothing there implying it is valid to use it with anything other
> than rivers.
>
> Whereas route=* applies to any route which isn't rigidly defined: boat
> travel, aeroplanes, driving across a desert.
> Anywhere you need to join points A and B with a way that is not rigidly
> defined but merely a suggestion.
>
> Yes, you could modify the documentation so whitewater:section_grade also
> applies to lakes, oceans and seas but
> then you'd need to emphasise that grades higher than 0 must not be used on
> anything other than rivers.  And it
> still doesn't apply to aircraft or driving across a desert or pistes.
>
> You're trying to bash a square peg into a round hole here, and doing so
> when somebody has already handed you a
> round peg of the correct size.
>
> --
> Paul