[Tagging] Canoe route

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 21:39:47 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Yves <yvecai at mailbox.org> wrote:

> There is a way to avoid tagging the way with the route tag:
>
> whitewater:section_grade=0
>
> See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Whitewater_sports#Grades
>
> I consent your canoe practice on a lake is perhaps far from 'whitewater'
> practice, but grade 0 describes a lake perfectly. And if the route follows
> a river with grade 1, then map it as such.

Unless I misunderstand the wiki page, whitewater:section_grade is only
documented as applying to waterway=river.
There is nothing there implying it is valid to use it with anything other
than rivers.

Whereas route=* applies to any route which isn't rigidly defined: boat
travel, aeroplanes, driving across a desert.
Anywhere you need to join points A and B with a way that is not rigidly
defined but merely a suggestion.

Yes, you could modify the documentation so whitewater:section_grade also
applies to lakes, oceans and seas but
then you'd need to emphasise that grades higher than 0 must not be used on
anything other than rivers.  And it
still doesn't apply to aircraft or driving across a desert or pistes.

You're trying to bash a square peg into a round hole here, and doing so
when somebody has already handed you a
round peg of the correct size.

--
Paul