[Tagging] Culverts and Fords

Craig Wallace craigw84+osm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 00:48:46 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-28 23:21, Vao Matua wrote:
> François
>
> I don't have an example.  I was trying to think of an example where
> layer would be needed for a stream/road crossing.  A pipe would
> probably be a better example.
>
> Sorry to cause a distraction.
>
> My real question is "Why not allow tunnel=culvert to be a node?"
>
> Emmor

If 2 ways share a node, then they must be connected to each other. ie on
the same layer. So one can't be above/below the other. A road and a
stream crossing on the same layer is a ford.
If you tag the shared node as a tunnel, then you don't know which way
goes through the tunnel.  Does the stream go through a tunnel, or does
the road go through a tunnel, or both?

It is much more useful to map tunnels/bridges as a way. If you know
there is a tunnel, but don't know how long the tunnel is, you can
estimate it. ie based on the width of the road. You can add a note to
say the exact length/position is estimated.