[Tagging] Culverts and Fords

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:01:58 UTC 2018

A culvert goes under the road and only carries the waterway. So it does
not 'exist' for the road. As such the culvert would be tagged on the
waterway and not on the roadway. The length of the culvert ... well it
is at least as wide as the road, if you cannot see it in imagery simply
make it a bit wider than the roads width. In Australia many streams are
intermittent - meaning the at water is not frequently there .. that
makes seeing these culverts difficult - I simply use the road widths if
I cannot see them.

A ford is where a waterway crosses a road, so needs to be on both
waterway and roadway. So this tag should take place on both waterway and
roadway where they share a node (or a way). These too can nbe hard to
see in Australia, if I cannot make out what it is (ford or culvert) I
don't tag it .. that leaves an error, but it is not something I can
identify so I leave it.

A reason whey tagging tunnel=culvert on a nod that has n=both road and
waterway is that the renders then have to decide it the tunnel is on the
road or the waterway .. or possibly there are 2 tunnels ... one on the
road the other on the waterway ... too complex for the renders... the
mappers have to decide.