[Tagging] Culverts and Fords

Vao Matua vaomatua at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:41:17 UTC 2018

Thank you Ralph, I understand your perspective, but have to disagree a bit
(I'm not looking for a battle, however).

A ford is a stack of layers that are directly adjacent vertically, with the
road slightly below the stream/river.  In the dry season a ford is only a
road and only becomes a ford when a watercourse flows over the top of the
road.

A culvert is a part of of road construction, a culvert would not exist
without the road, but the culvert is utilized by the stream.  Personally I
have physically installed culverts in road profiles where there is no
watercourse.  If I try to add a culvert in JOSM without an additional tag I
get a validation warning.

Wouldn't a road/stream crossing without a culvert or bridge be called a dam?

Isn't a culvert similar in rendering to an embankment?  An embankment is a
tag applied to a road or railroad, but it is a level beneath the road or
railroad.  A culvert happens to be perpendicular or so to the road rather
than adjacent to it.

Part of this discussion also is a matter of scale.  At some rendering of a
map even a place like Paris would be displayed as a node.  In the same way
a culvert displayed as a node would be appropriate at certain zoom levels.

I think an easy solution is to make the rendering rule for culverts be a
layer below the road and allowed to be a node.

I think this is an interesting discussion and is helping me understand
different points of view, thanks.

Emmor