[Tagging] discrepancy in shop definition and "wholesale" value

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Wed Mar 7 07:06:55 UTC 2018

The term “Big-box store” is not one I’ve ever heard used in Australia, and is not something that I would immediately associated with something like Costco. Given that the existing tag is already in widespread (and largely correct) usage and possibly specifically supported by existing software, I don’t really see a good reason for changing it to something else just for the heck of it.

I think all that should be needed is to amend the documentation to make it clear that it is only for places that are “Wholesale/warehouse club or cash and carry - a store that sells items in bulk” (I would leave out the “to retailers”, any access limitations should be described by different tags) and not “actual” wholesalers (which should use the wholesale=* tag), and then correct any possibly wrongly tagged data that already exist.

Cheers,

Thorsten