[Tagging] Different postal codes in each side of the street

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 21:14:01 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 8:08 PM, Fernando Trebien <fernando.trebien at gmail.com
> wrote:

> In Brazil some streets have a different postal code on each side.
> There seems to be no officially defined tag to represent this on ways.
> Nominatim supports [1] US TIGER tags tiger:zip_left and
> tiger:zip_right, even though those could be replaced with postal code
> boundary relations [2] in the future since they are areas [3]. It
> doesn't seem to make sense to recommend using them outside the US.
> Over here we could perhaps use a large number of postal code boundary
> relations, or painstakingly add a postal code to every address.

Here in the UK we often painstakingly add a postal code to every address.
Because in the UK
it isn't as simple as one postcode per street, or one postcode per side of
street.  That would
be far too easy. :)

In my part of the UK I've mapped the following peculiarities:

1) Buildings with high volumes of post getting their own postcode.
Government offices.
Banks (they don't get much post these days, but 30 years ago there were a
lot of cheques
that had to be returned to the relevant branch).

2) A large building gets demolished.  Several new ones go up in its place.
That
would disrupt the numbering scheme, so there is a sub-level of street, such
as

    1 Quay Street, SA43 1HU
  , 2 Quay Street, SA43 1HU
    New Life Church, SA43 1HU
    1 Rock Terrace, Quay Street, SA43 1HS
    2 Rock Terrace, Quay Street, SA43 1HS
    5 Rock Terrace, Quay Street,.SA43 1HS
    1 Royal Oak, Quay Street, SA43 1HR
    2 Royal Oak, Quay Street, SA43 1HR

It's all Quay Street.  It's very confusing for anyone who doesn't
understand what's
there because there are no signs saying Rock Terrace or Royal Oak.  So you
see
numbers 1 and 2 on Quay Street 3 times.  Hence the different postcodes all
on
the same side of the street.  Just to confuse matters, the other side of
the street has
numbers 16 to 26 (all SA43 1HU).

3) Different postcodes on opposite sides of the street.  It bifurcates (a Y
junction)
and all three arms are North Road.  I assume the postal delivery round also
bifurcates.

4) High rises.  None of those near me, but they merit their own postcode
both
to segregate mailbags and to ensure that 1, Big Tower, Long Street gets a
different postcode from 1, Long Street.

--
Paul