[Tagging] Campaniles tagging

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 08:58:24 UTC 2018

There is more to this.

What's the difference between "campanile" and "bell_tower" (independently
form the tagging scheme)?
Hint: the English Wikipedia redirects to the Bell Tower page (no indication
that a "campanile" is free-standing)

The English wiki page for "man_made=campanile" says:
"A free standing bell tower, typically near a church. "
However (nearly) all bell towers in Italy, many of which are free-standing,
are tagged as bell_tower.
The English wiki page for tower:type=bell_tower says:

   - bell_tower
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:bell_tower&action=edit&redlink=1>
   =campanile
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:bell_tower%3Dcampanile&action=edit&redlink=1>
   - free standing bell tower derived from Italian *campana* - bell)
   - bell_tower
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:bell_tower&action=edit&redlink=1>
   =klockstapel
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:bell_tower%3Dklockstapel&action=edit&redlink=1>
   - free standing wooden belfry (in Northern Europe)
   - bell_tower
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:bell_tower&action=edit&redlink=1>
   =bell_gable
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:bell_tower%3Dbell_gable&action=edit&redlink=1>
   - flat belfry (Spanish *Espadaña*)

but the English wiki page for tower:type=campanile shows the photograph of
a klockstapel.

statistics:
man_made=tower + tower:type=campanile (164)
man_made=campanile (798)
man_made=tower and tower:type=bell_tower (10717)
man_made=bell_tower (33)
bell tower=klockstapel (15)
bell_tower=bell_gable (1)

In Northern Italy:
(man_made=tower and tower:type=campanile) or man_made=campanile (<200) (not
all of which are free-standing)
man_made=tower and tower:type=bell_tower (~6000), of which I would guess
the large majority are free-standing

Conclusion:
The wiki pages do not describe the actual use of the tags.
In particular the "campanile" tag is rarely used and most free-standing
bell towers are tagged as bell_tower (in my view the correct English term)
and not with the Italian term "campanile".

The campanile tag is used as a variant of bell_tower with no specific
distinction with regard to free-standing-ness or not.