[Tagging] Still RFC — Drop stop positions and platforms

Selfish Seahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 09:29:09 UTC 2018

> And if a tag is needed, stop vs stop_position would surely cause confusion!

If we would map a public_transport=stop node regardless of whether
there's a platform or not and if only public_transport=stop nodes
would be added to route relations then public_transport=stop_position
wouldn't be needed anymore (because for long platform, there is the
information where the vehicle stops) and there would be no confusion.

> As has been noted elsewhere, public_transport=platform was probably not an ideal word choice, perhaps wait_area or some such would have been better, but it is what it is.

It is a scheme that has been around for seven years but hasn't been
adopted widely, which means that something isn't optimal with it.
Seven years is a very long time!

In my opinion, it's never too late to look for alternatives.