[Tagging] Unifying large multi-location store chains

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu May 3 16:57:08 UTC 2018

There was an action a couple of years ago in the Netherlands to unify
the orthography of shop names..... It was very successful, after a
consultation.

Here's the link to the discussion on the forum - unfortunately it's all
in Dutch... https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=33909

The originator of the project was Matthijs Melissen, who make wiki pages
for the mechanical edit process that ensued:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Math1985_mechanical

Colin

On 2018-05-03 18:34, Leon Karcher wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I thought about unifying large store/restaurant chains with several locations for many times now. There are some tags that are applicable to all locations of a specific brand like brand=*, amenity=*/shop=*, cuisine=* for restaurants and for some also name=*. Espacially name=* and brand=* are important to find and filter POI.
>
> To have an overview I created a list in the wiki [1] which includes applicable tags of some brands, but it's still under construction and only shows the ones that I know. So feel free to help.
>
> I already did a small unification for "Applebee's" locations in Ohio (see this changeset [2]). To do so I filtered out name=Applebee's and name=Applebees via Overpass and reviewed the changes manually. Even though I did the changes manually, this is sort of a mechanical edit, which is the reason for me to ask on this mailing list on your opinion about such changes. And also: What do you think of having such a list of brands?
>
> Hope to hear some opinions,
> Leon/doktorpixel14

Links:
------