[Tagging] Unifying large multi-location store chains

Leon Karcher leonkarcher.123 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 16:34:23 UTC 2018

Hello,

I thought about unifying large store/restaurant chains with several
locations for many times now. There are some tags that are applicable to
all locations of a specific brand like brand=*, amenity=*/shop=*, cuisine=*
for restaurants and for some also name=*. Espacially name=* and brand=* are
important to find and filter POI.

To have an overview I created a list in the wiki
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Doktorpixel14/Brands> which
includes applicable tags of some brands, but it's still under construction
and only shows the ones that I know. So feel free to help.

I already did a small unification for "Applebee's" locations in Ohio (see this
changeset <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/58652839>). To do so I
filtered out name=Applebee's and name=Applebees via Overpass and reviewed
the changes manually. Even though I did the changes manually, this is sort
of a mechanical edit, which is the reason for me to ask on this mailing
list on your opinion about such changes. And also: What do you think of
having such a list of brands?

Hope to hear some opinions,
Leon/doktorpixel14