[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - key:spacing=*

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sat May 5 17:36:59 UTC 2018

On Saturday 05 May 2018, Peter Elderson wrote:
> [...]
>
> The key is proposed as part of a rendering proposal for
> *natural=tree_row*, [...]
>
> However, the proposed usage is explicitly non-exact: [...]

As a general rule a good tag or tagging proposal should be mapper
oriented, it should be designed to allow mappers to document verifiable
aspects of the observable geography in an efficient, precise and
non-ambiguous way.

Why don't we tag spacing=* on a power=line instead of tagging every pole
with power=pole?  Because if we have the information and the time as a
mapper to verifiably determine this we can normally also go ahead and
map the poles anyway which makes the data much more meaningful and
valuable in general.  And because actually measuring the spacing
between the poles, in particular if it varies, is practically harder
than just mapping the positions of the poles.

If i try to ignore the rendering related aspects of your proposal it
boils down to being deliberately non-exact.  Why would a mapper want to
do that?  If i want to map a tree row in a quick and dirty way i draw a
way and tag it natural=tree_row.  If i want to map it in more detail i
map and tag the individual trees.  I don't see tagging spacing=* as an
intermediate solution here.

If as a style developer you want to render tree rows styled depending on
the tree density the way to go would IMO be to encourage mappers to map
individual trees (which current documentation of natural=tree_row
considers valid when done in addition) and determine the spacing from
these.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/