[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - key:spacing=*

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Sun May 6 02:36:03 UTC 2018

I very much see this as a valid intermediate solution. Getting an estimate of the average spacing between trees along a tree row takes seconds.

Exactly locating and mapping every single tree along a long tree row can take hours. And in the majority of cases, you are probably not going to be much more exact than a tree_row with spacing would have been, given the usual size of trees and the precision you can get from GPS or not ultra-high resolution imagery.

Which means that people would probably mostly draw a line, with the estimated number of nodes that there are trees, use the "distribute equally" function and tag them all as natural=tree.

Congratulation, you've now used many nodes, and pretend an exactness of the data that doesn't exist, for zero additional benefit over a two node tree_row way with spacing.